Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Scribblings #146 -- Pilgrimage

This week’s Sunday Scribblings prompt was difficult for me, as I have many places I’d like to visit. However, regarding pilgrimages, I’ll take the beaches of Normandy. I don’t claim to be a World War II scholar by any stretch of the imagination, but I am interested in the period (movies about the war, WWII-themed video games, etc.), and additionally, I have familial reasons for needing to see Normandy. My great-uncle (BJ and Marguerite’s uncle) was killed during the D-Day invasion in World War II. My own grandfather was in the war, also, but he spent some time in North Africa, and he was fortunate enough to come home alive.

All I know about this great-uncle is that he was just a kid when he got killed. Visiting Normandy won’t give me any insight into his life, but it’s something that I still feel the need to do someday.

For more Sunday Scribblings, click here

7 comments:

Ray said...

wonderfully written!

miss u!

linda may said...

Sounds like a worthy pilgrimage. Your photo looks like your name. :)

Roan said...

I think you should go. Perhaps you should talk to cousin Claude. He knows a lot about where Uncle went inland before he was killed. Or, I think O knows, and I belive he has a map of the area with the town marked.

Marguerite said...

Would make a good pilgrimage. Well done.

floreta said...

that would be a great pilgrimage! to learn about your family history, or at least get a feel for it.. and travel. this is what pilgrimage truly should mean.

Anonymous said...

Quite interesting to read about you and family history. Hope you make that pilgrimage some day soon.

*~sis~* said...

i hope you get to go one day...it's definitely a worthwhile visit! :)