Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sidebar drama...

Okay, so it's no surprise to me that most of the stuff I put in my sidebar doesn't fit. However, I'm trying to figure out how to solve this problem. I went into my layout and clicked on the Edit HTML tab. It brought back memories to the good ol' days before Blogger got so doggoned user-friendly. Anybody else remember those days? Back when you had to type miles and miles of code into the template, only to have your edits null and void because you forgot to put < or > or even /a at the end? Oh yes. I actually sort of miss those days. Not because entering code is so delightful (though secretly I do sorta enjoy it), but rather because it reminds me of my earlier college days when several of my school friends owned and updated blogs. Most of them are too busy for it now.

But I digress...

Anyway, I was fooling around in the Edit HTML area, trying to adjust my sidebar width so that everything could fit into it. Most of the time, I could get the pictures to fit, but then my followers area would be messed up: whichever bloggers were unfortunate enough to be the rightmost (probably a new word I just coined) followers would only have half their icons showing. Additionally, sidebar text often drifted off into oblivion, as well. When I finally corrected those problems (by increasing the sidebar width), my entire sidebar was pushed down several inches. I'm not usually the type of person to ask for help, but I'll humble myself on this occasion. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I just hope that whatever I try doesn't delete my blog or something. I mean, after all, I just had my 3-year blogoversary. The blog and I celebrated quietly at home.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi- It's been a long time since I've had a "blogger" blog here. You need to decrease the width of your posts.
(There's a certain column width for this. You might need to go back and edit all of your previous posts so that they are narrower in width. See how I narrow the text below:
You can do this by
simply reformatting
all old posts to be
a certain width.
You see, all it
takes is ONE
old post to still
push that sidebar
info down.)


I'm sorry I don't know how to tell you this in the "new blogger". I used to code it myself.

That way there will be room for the info in your sidebar, without it being "pushed down." The detailed "how to's" might be at "Blogger help."

Anonymous said...

HAPPY 3 yr BLOGAVERSARY! :)

Poopsie aka Blue said...

Belated blog anniversary greetings!

Thankfully I don't remember the early Blogger, I'd have never ever have got going...
Sorry, can't help re the side bar issue, as am not techy - do everything by trial & error.
But, a different temp plate might help!

Blue
x

Roan said...

Sorry, no help here, but hopefully will learn from your answers.

*~sis~* said...

congrats on your 3 yr anniversary!! and the code, i always have to look it up. it's what the others have written, decreasing the post width. and make sure you save your original code, just in case!! :)
ps - i remember old code too...lol!