Saturday, January 03, 2009

Sunday Scribblings #144 -- For Richer or Poorer

This is the story the prompt inspired me to write.

I just graduated with a Master's degree in English in the fall of 2008. I understand that I've only been out of school for a few months now. However, I'm still in the process of finding a full-time job. Yes, I do have some income, but not much. I work part-time as a proofreader while living at home.

Being an only child, I tend to view my three first cousins on my mom's side as the closest that I'll ever come to siblings. I'm proud of all three of them--they have all received Master's degrees in their respective fields and are making great lives for themselves. However, I am not quite living up to these standards. All three of my cousins have moved out, have landed decent jobs, and have traveled extensively. I have done none of these things.

Typically, this doesn't bother me much. I'm a bit of a dreamer, but I'm more of a realist. I try to do my best to make my dreams come true while struggling to keep a good attitude. Keeping my chin up, I have filled in applications and received rejection letters in return. Still I keep hoping for a job. I received good grades in school, held a graduate assistantship, and have a little teaching experience...

Anyway, as I was saying, all this wasn't bothering me so much lately. That is, until I got that call from my grandma this afternoon. She wanted to give me a heads-up that the local "dollar store" was hiring. Now that's a blow to one's ego.

Read more rich and poor tales at Sunday Scribblings

14 comments:

Michelle said...

Having graduated with a Business Degree and worked in finance for the past 11+ years... I've always felt a bit mismatched with my profession, assuming that if I had pursued a degree in English or communication I would be much happier and therefore more prosperous. But it seems that is not always the case, especially "in this economy" a phrase I'm getting so sick of reading and and writing!! I hope you find you find a job you like that allows you to use your degree. In the meantime, remember that every experience big or small plays a part in who we become as people. None of us are better than anyone else, some of us just get lucky. Happy New Year!

Roan said...

I know about those cousins. My Uncle Alvin used to come over and proudly tell my dad about his children's grades. My father would look at O and me and shake his head.

Hang in there, something will come along!

Marguerite said...

Yes, just keep on trying and you will find something. In the meantime, enjoy your freedom and keep writing!

Nalini Prasanna said...

First, congratulations on your Masters degree. I say, follow your heart and stay with your dreams.

present said...

I had to smile when I read about your grandma because I could see my own grandma (who has been gone now many years) saying something just like that to me. She would have truly thought she was helping me. Hope you find just what you're looking for.

Anonymous said...

i know lots of people graduate and then can only get a job as a barista at starbucks or something.. it's tough. maybe you should think about teaching english overseas :) it would get you a job and travel, which you say you've never done.

Rinkly Rimes said...

m from a different era but I think I'd take anything if I were young now, but set my sites on becoming CEO!

lilly said...

All things will come to those who wait patiently and ask politely.

Good luck in the job hunting!

Anonymous said...

20something bloggers is cool check it out

Anonymous said...

hey, good luck with finding a job. keep your dreams alive. and listen to old people wisedom, though don't always act upon.
see you next time.

Linda Jacobs said...

Sometimes, It's hard to balance what makes us happy with what pays the bills. Just hang in there and the right job will come along.

Blondie said...

I wanted to major in English, but instead I did what was "practical." 17 years into my career, I can honestly say that I do "write professionally" for a living, and it's a good living--but I had to do something I didn't particularly like for 10 years before I got here. It's a tough time, but be patient, and you will get there.

Tumblewords: said...

You should definitely keep writing! good luck...

Head Cookie said...

You will surely have something come your way. It takes time just keep looking and stay confident hold your head high.