Sunday, October 19, 2008

Painted Desert

This is the Painted Desert. Such a beauty. When Mom and I left Winslow (which is another story in itself), we headed east on I-40, which is basically old Route 66. It was cool to see some of the old billboards--just as I imagined it would be. We drove through a little of Holbrook (side note: it was also cool to drive through almost all the towns named in the Arizona section of Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath), and then we got off the interstate and entered the Petrified Forest from a highway. It was pretty cool to go that way, even though it felt like backtracking, because taking the scenic drive from south to north saved the Painted Desert for last. Unfortunately, during our trip, it was very windy in the north half of Arizona, so it was difficult to get pictures. I think this one turned out pretty well, despite my hair blowing in my face and my camera running out of memory.

No comments: