Thursday, October 23, 2008

Anchovies, Reasor Park, and No Scarface

I did something yesterday that I haven't done in a very long time. Too long, actually. I went on a drive. Sarah invited me up to see where she will be doing her practicum or student teaching or whatever. You'll have to forgive me for getting the two confused--I wasn't in the teacher certification program.

Anyway, we drove around Mattoon some, and then I remembered that I wanted to stop at Buffalo Wild Wings to pick up some hot sauce. It's one of those things I've always wanted to do, but never did--until yesterday.

So, Sarah and I waited an eternity for someone to emerge from the back to get down a jar of Parmesan Garlic and a jar of Wild sauce. As soon as I'd paid for my goods, the lady disappeared, just as mysteriously as she'd appeared not five minutes prior. As Sarah and I were walking out the door, I had the crazy idea to read the ingredients label. I really shouldn't do this, because, to my knowledge, I have no food allergies. And as far as the vegetarian thing goes, if I am not aware of animal products or by-products, it's fair game; once I learn of said products, my stomach gets queasy.

Yep. You guessed it. Wild sauce has anchovies in it.

Anchovies are not a major player in the Wild game--they're second from the last on the list of ingredients. They are the second to last important ingredients in the sauce. I considered returning the bottle, but then I remembered how long I had to wait just to get the stuff. Then I thought, I'll just eat it and not think about it. I mean, after all, I ate Cheez-Whiz and Worcestershire sauce with anchovies for years unawares.

Coming back to Charleston, Sarah and I decided to check out Reasor Park. I've tried to find Reasor Park before, only to get derailed by the Lafferty Nature Study Center. Anyway, this time, since Sarah and I had been discussing the park via IM earlier that day, we thought we knew where we were going, so it shouldn't be a big deal. It looked like a good-sized park, anyhow.

We took off down University Drive (don't even get me started about the name of that street), and started looking for Lover's Lane. That is seriously the name of the road on the map that takes you to Reasor Park. I never saw any "Lover's Lane," but Sarah saw a sign that read "Reasor Park."

I missed it.

I had to turn around in the church school's parking lot (I think it is Calvary Baptist or Calvary Christian Academy or something like that) and head back to so-called "Lover's Lane" (I never did see a street sign for it. This should have been my first clue. Hey, don't get me wrong, it was a pretty drive, but that's all it was--a drive. I got to the end of it and started recognizing Reynolds Drive (I got lost there looking for Reasor Park on yet ANOTHER occasion).

Then we got the bright idea to check out VFW Park. I'm not even going to comment on that one.

In Mattoon and Charleston both, I looked Family Video for Scarface. I thought I found it at Charleston, but someone had stuck the movie Predator behind the Scarface box. Mattoon didn't even have it. I wanted to watch Scarface because I saw an interview with Michelle Pfeiffer on TV. Isn't publicity great?

When I came back home, I checked Visual Effects--no Scarface. I then checked Casey's. I settled for No Country for Old Men and Juno. Those movies sure were a change of pace from one another. Movie reviews of these coming soon.

1 comment:

Roan said...

Hi Sunshine. I have a suspicion we might be related...

Email me through my blog. I've a question for you.

BJ