Thursday, December 31, 2009

So Long, 2009. We've Had a Good Run...

Well, the year 2009 comes to a close. Being the pragmatic realist that I am, I'm baffled as to why people celebrate New Year's. We don't celebrate New Month's or New Week's, or even New Day's. So why all the hoopla about a new year?

I just realized that I sound dangerously close to Andy Rooney all of a sudden.

Anyway, I guess I'll do what everyone else seems to like to do at the end of a year: reflect on it. Really, this has been a pretty good year for me. Far better than that other year that totally sucked for me. But see? I can't even remember which it was. I'm guessing 2008 though.

Okay, what has 2009 brought me? Well, a resurgence in blog posts, for one. Granted, I'm not as good at it as I was back in my heyday (2005-6) when my blog was new, but I've made quite an improvement over 2007 when I hardly blogged at all.


Also, I got a full-time job. I'd say that's something to get excited about. So I moved to a different place, started teaching kids of all ages (from junior in high school all the way up to adults older than I returning to school).

Also took a road trip to Appalachia over the summer. That was nice. I got to see Shenandoah via Skyline Drive, so I sorta fought my fear of heights on that one. It really was beautiful and a great time.

I read several books over the summer, but I almost can't keep track of them anymore. I know there were several Sinclair Lewis', and Little Dorrit by Dickens, and The Great Gatsby because I couldn't believe I'd taken a Master's in English without reading Gatsby. I know there were more, but as I said, there are too many to count.

I got a new car, so along with that new job, I have new payments to deal with. But it's all good.

I've also started playing my guitar again and doing crafts more regularly. Case in point, I just finished a latch hook project from I don't know how many years ago last night. I'm still working on that granny square afghan. I've probably been working on that since before I started this blog. But I really don't feel like working on it at the moment, somehow. Thus, I think I'll get back to my small needlepoint project. I figured I'd give the latch hook to one grandma and the needlepoint heart to the other.

Well, that's about all I can think of for 2009. I'm sure there were other blogworthy things about the year, but if so, I can't seem to recall them at the moment. Here's hoping that 2010 will be even better! Now, onto those resolutions...

No comments: