Monday, February 08, 2010

Ah, Insomnia!

Okay, so I'm an insomniac. It comes and goes. Lately it's been fairly severe. I don't know what causes it, and I sure as heck don't know why it sometimes goes away. All I know is that my mind races at nighttime. I feel like I'm in college again. Back then I could do crazy things like stay up to 3:00 and then get up at 6:30 to get ready and then be 30 minutes early for an 8:00am class.

It's like I run on adrenaline. Except I have no energy.

Ah, conundrums, enigmas, perplexities, how I'm drawn to them. It's really windy tonight. Maybe that will help me sleep. Usually a good drizzly rain can do the trick. IHOP sounds really good once again for some reason. I never used to like pancakes, but for some reason just lately... I don't know. Anyway, back to what I was saying, it's like my brain is always switched on for some reason. I guess there's nothing wrong with that, but sometimes I think it might be good for it to take a break and get some rest. But then, most of the time sleeping causes weird "nightmares" (yes, I intentionally quotified the word, because they really aren't frightening nightmares, but they are unpleasant dreams; but when I wake up, I never can figure out what element of the dreams were so unpleasant; sometimes those unpleasant dreams can put me in a foul mood for much of the day though).

I'm really not that emotional of a person. I mean, most of the time I feel like I'm just one big callus. I am sort of anxious to get Valentine's Day over with. I've never been much for the mushy stuff. I hate romantic comedies with a passion. I mean, I think I've elevated it to an art form. And I know I have it down to a science. Let's see how many other cheap and easy cliches I can riddle this post with.

Okay, so on that note, I'm reading The Memory Keeper's Daughter for book club. Thus far, it's been a lot better than I expected. But then again, I fear that it will turn into chick-lit. I guess time will tell.

I'm really getting the travel bug. Maybe it's because it's winter. I mean, invierno does that to a person, right? No se. By the way, just a word of caution: sometimes I slip into Spanish here and there. All apologies for that. I am studying the language, and I'm to that point where sometimes the Spanish word comes easier than the English one.

So I finished 1919. Man I'm starting to sound like Holden Caulfield. If I start calling everything a phony and say I ought to go see ol' Phoebe, then I'll know there's a problem. But yeah, finished the John Dos Passos book and abruptly shifted gears to Kim Edwards. As I said, I'm learning Spanish, but I'm already making plans to study German next. Boy howdy. I sure know how to pile the extra work on myself.

No comments: